Search This Blog

Friday 18 March 2011

The Future Classroom – What’s Next?

whatsnext08_toc

One of my favourite education blogs is ‘Teach Paperless’. Last night I read a really interesting post by them titled ‘21 Things That Will Become Obsolete in Education by 2020.’ It was written in response to the post ‘21 Things That Became Obsolete in the Last Decade.’ 

What I like about the post is that I agree with everything said, more so, I want it to be true because this is how I envision the future of education.

The frustrating thing is that my perfect learning environment, the one of the future, is achievable using today's technology but achingly out of my reach. 

One thing that Shelly mentioned that resonated with me is that Education Classes that fail to integrate social technology will become irrelevant. I often felt that my University professors weren’t preparing me for the 21st Century classroom or on how to teach the 21st century learner. I think the same is of schools. Why they aren’t as far behind as Universities/Colleges I think schools need to be making a more concentrated effort towards creating learning environments that cater to the diverse needs of future learners. 

My perfect learning environment is paperless:

1.  Desks aren’t separated and used as a mean to control learning but are collaborative learning spaces.

2. Every student would have their own personal computer (whatever that may be) with the opportunities to share in ‘real time’ online.

3. Learning won’t be confined to the teacher and the classroom, instead it will become collaborative and diverse. Limited only by the scope of the internet and an individuals imagination.

4. Technology won’t be a tool to get students interested in learning but will become a part of the everyday classroom.

5. Language/Communication won’t be a barrier to student learning. Whether they speak another language or have a learning disability technology will help break down those barriers/frustrations for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment