Search This Blog

Monday 7 March 2011

Is education killing creativity?

Whenever Sir Ken Robinson speaks I listen. I mean really listen. What he has to say about education wakes me up. It makes me sit up and take notice.  His talk on how schools are killing creativity is very interesting. 

He raises an excellent point in his video. Why is maths more important than dance? Or art? Or textiles? I agree that we place too much importance on educating for college. 

I have to confess that at times I have focussed too much on mistakes, too much on making sure students get the ‘right answer’ and not enough on encouraging them to make mistakes and learn from them.  However, in an ever increasing world of testing, where too much emphasis is placed on results how can we shift away from this? How can we teach students that it is okay to make mistakes because “if you are not prepared to be wrong you will never come up with anything original.”

No comments:

Post a Comment